Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Sing, Sing, Sing


Frida Hyvönen is a Swedish singer-songwriter, predominantly a pianist, who released her debut album in Europe in 2005 and on North American shores in October of last year.

Until Death Comes is one of the first releases on Licking Fingers, the label run by the similar-sounding musicians of The Concretes. Tracks like the first single, 'I Drive My Friend', and 'You Never Got Me Right' skip and stumble along over the kind of bouncy piano line that Regina Spektor is fond of. The lyrics are often plaintive, sometimes sweetly funny.


Until Death Comes:
I Drive My Friend [video]
Djuna!
Valerie
You Never Got Me Right [mp3]
Once I Was A Serene Teenage Child
today, tuesday
Come Another Night
N.Y.
The Modern
Straight Thin Line


Recommended for anyone with a foot firmly in the camp of Edith Frost, the aforementioned Regina Spektor, or her tourmate Jens Lekman.

No comments: