Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Some Day My Boat Will Come In

I love when I’m stumbling around the internet(s) and I come across something really special. Or seemingly special -- I’m not sure if these folks are really who they say they are. I mean, they have a MySpace page and all. They could be anyone really. They are on the U.S. West Coast; I’m on the U.S. East Coast. I’ve never seen/heard them play live. They could be some fabricated group secretly backed by a major record label and sucking the teat of Clear Channel for all I know. I guess I just need to trust in them or their internet presence. It is, after all, the age in which we never actually have to see or speak to someone to have a relationship. I limit my internet relationships to good music.

Here are the facts as I have read them:

Boat is a band from Seattle, Washington.
The current lineup of Boat is D. Crane (Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards, Bass) M. McKenzie (Guitar, Vocals, Bass, Cello, Melodica) J. Goodman (Drums/Vocals/Melodica/Guitar) Z. Chase (Cowbell only) Former Members: G. Miller (Drums, Vocals, Cello) Z. Duffy (Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals/Handclaps/Maracas/Ooohs/Aahs) J. Rufa (Bass, Keyboards, Vocals, Dancing) D. Rehberger (Guitar, Vocals) P. Schumacher (Bass, Mardi Gras Hat) K. Joslin (Drums, Vocals)
Boat has been recently added to the Magic Marker Records website.
Boat has an upcoming release entitled Songs That You Might Not Like on Magic Marker Records.

Here are the facts as I see them:

Boat does not produce island music or sea shanties.
Boat makes songs that I do like (like so much I might even tick the box that says “yes” on the “Do you Love Me” note that I hope they send me)
Boat will be in my c.d. collection in the near future.
Boat has a whimsical and colorful website.
Boat is a noun and it is mentioned in a wonderful play by Tom Stoppard [*see below, below]

Here are links to some MP3s that Boat has generously provided, on their web page, for your intoxication:

Boat – Quickly and Quietly

Boat – Return of the Rainbow Shoelace

Boat – The Bar is Too Low to Fail

Boat – Every time I Build


*From Tom Stoppard’s "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead"

Rosencrantz: Do you think death could possibly be a boat?
Guildenstern: No, no, no...Death is...not. Death isn't. You take my meaning. Death is the ultimate negative. Not-being. You can't not-be on a boat.
Rosencrantz: I've frequently not been on boats.
Guildenstern: No, no, no - what you've been is not on boats.

No comments: