Monday, May 15, 2006

Flung at Random: Between the Profusion of Matter and of the Stars

I won’t even pretend that I understand fractals (click to enlarge the example at right). I just know that there is some element of randomness and beauty to them as they spiral around themselves (or maybe some other dimension). I like the idea of randomness in art; I sometimes like the idea of shuffle and repeat on c.d. players. For randomness in the plastic arts you can look at certain works by Jackson Pollock, Robert Rauschenberg, or Jasper Johns. Randomness in the music mix arena can be refreshingly unrestrained (especially when you doubt your music mix abilities).

Below is an indie pop mix of free and legal downloads that were generated from
my mp3 player completely at random. Interestingly, I think it works and hope that you will download and enjoy them together as a mix.



The greatest mystery is not that we have been flung at random between the profusion of matter and of the stars, but that within this prison we can draw from ourselves images powerful enough to deny our nothingness.
-Andrew Malraux (1901 - 1976)

No comments: